Most of the windows xp installed on computers are pirated copies, thereby causing trouble anytime the windows tries to install the update from the internet by placing a notification message “This copy of windows is not genuine” at the lower right side of the screen (i.e. near system tray)
. That is why many people resort on not to update their windows so as not get the notification.
The notification itself does not cause any damage to the computer but it is irritating seeing the message every time you boot up your computer.
Today, I will show you how to remove the irritating notification “This copy of windows is not genuine”. Simply follow the step below to fix it.
1. Boot up your windows in safe mode
2. Open c:\windows\system32, locate a file named wgatray.exe. Press shift + Del, a confirmation box will appear; do not click anything yet
3. Press Ctrl+Shift+Del key to open Task Manager, click on “processes tab” locate wgatray.exe and click on “end process”. A confirmation box will appear asking if you want to terminate the process, do not click anything yet.
4. Overlay task manager warning on delete confirmation. Click “Yes” to terminate the process and immediately click Yes to delete the file. (The idea is to terminate the process and delete it immediately before it restarts it self again. if you miss it, you will have to perform this step again as the file cannot be deleted without terminating it first)
5. Click on Start Menu, Run and type “regedit”, a registry editor will appear. Browse to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\Notify.
6. Delete “wgalogon” folder and all its contents.
7. Restart the computer in Normal mode.
You have just removed the notification “This copy of windows is not genuine”
One thing is to remove and another thing is not running into it again
To prevent your computer from displaying this notification maybe after performing the above steps or before the notification even displayed. Follow the steps below:
Some people simply disable the automatic update and even chose not to their windows at all,you should not because of yoke throw away the egg.
1. Go to control Panel, Security Center, Automatic update settings
2. Chose the last option (“Notify me but don’t install the update). Anytime there is new update from the microsoft, you will get a notification of update availability.
3. Click the notification message , on the list of what to update, uncheck the “Windows Genuine Advantage Notification Tool” so as not to install (if you have never installed it) or re-install (if you have just removed it). Then click on do not notify me of this update again.
4. Continue the rest of the process to complete the update. When installing update next time, make sure that you always uncheck the “Windows Genuine Advantage Notification Tool” to prevent it from been installed.
You have just prevented “This Copy of Windows is not Genuine” notification from appearing in your screen.
If you have trouble performing these steps, please let me know through the comment box.